Friday, February 22, 2013

Bird Houses for Spring

Hellooooo Spring!

I wish =(

I have been bamboozled by Mother Nature for a few weeks now. She is starting to act like a psycho ex-girlfriend. One day she loves me, the next she wants to poison my cupcakes. So I have been trying to cheer her up by slowly re-doing my balcony. Hoping that maybe a few pops of color and some pretty flowers would get her to warm up the weather for good.. and instead she's made it rain, snow and sleet all in one day. Killing my flowers. Sounds like a psycho ex girlfriend to me.

Anyway, one of the things i have been working on is bird houses. I have two adorable little kitty katz living in my apartment with me and sometimes they get pretty bored despite the abundance of toys and cat nip. So I have been feeding birds on my balcony as a cheap form of entertainment.. and it works. It really works.

Look at them, probably imagining some delicious chicken wings made out of finch or something.


They love those birds... and they would love to catch one too! But I would feel bad letting them out to catch a bird. Plus I would be totally traumatized from the bloodbath.. and feathers. So instead, I decided to make the birds a little bird house so they stick around a little longer.

I went to my local Michael's and bought a few cardboard/wood bird houses for $1 and some acrylic paints that were on sale for $.33. Pretty cheap, huh?

So here is how it all went down:
  1. I painted the bird house with some left over primer paint from home depot. The acrylic paint wasn't adhering to the bird house otherwise. And the colors weren't showing as well either. But it dried pretty fast!
  2. I painted the roof of the bird house this saffron yellow
  3. I painted the body a pale green
  4. And the little stick for the bird to stand on as well as the inner ring of the hole in the house were painted navy. 

In between each color I waited for the paint to dry. I also did two coats of each color. I then used a protecting spray, you could use Mod Podge to protect it from the harsh environment once I hang them up. I think I am going to wait until Spring to actually put up the bird houses. I don't want Mother Nature to have another meltdown and destroy them.

Here's another little house I painted


What do you guys think? I think my birds have been enjoying all that bird food too much and might not fit inside! Haha, guess we will have to wait until Spring to find out.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment