Sunday, May 5, 2013

Cinco de Mojito Part Dos


Now that you are getting over your blackberry mojito hangover... I am sure you have been dreaming about those fish tacos! And nothing cures a hangover like some delicious homemade food.

I'd like to extend my gratitude to Bon Appetit for making me the best house chef in the world (at least that's how I feel every time I make this recipe). Here is what you'll need:

Pico de Gallo
5 Plum tomatoes, seeded, chopped
1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
4 scallions, white and light-green parts only, chopped
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, minced
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper

Crema
1/4 cup of heavy cream
2 tbsp of sour cream
kosher salt
ground pepper
hot pepper sauce

Tacos
1 tbsp of paprika
1 tsp of garlic powder
1tsp of onion powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lb of mahi mahi
canola oil
tortillas
lime wedges
chopped cabbage

Directions
For the pico: 
Combine the ingredients in a bowl, season to taste

For the crema:
Whisk cream and sour cream in a bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce.

For the tacos:
Combine all dried ingredients in a bowl. Sprinkle over fish. Brush a grill pan with canola oil and place fish over medium-hight heat. Cook for about 5 minutes per side. Remove from stove and place on a plate. Using a fork, shred the fish into pieces to stuff into the tacos. Fill tortillas with fish, pico, crema and the shredded cabbage and squeeze a lime wedge on top and enjoy!

Pretty easy right? And trust me when I say that these are delicious! If you're looking for some good quality "fresh" fish, I usually go to Whole Foods. But I have made these tacos with frozen wild caught fish from Trader Joe's as well as Whole Foods frozen fish selection and they still taste delicious (we don't have Publix up north, otherwise I would def. give them a try!). If you live close to the ocean you can find places that sell "catch of the day" or other fresh caught fish. I try to make sure that whatever fish I buy, whether it is Mahi Mahi or Tilapia or Sole, is a fish that is responsibly caught or farmed. Over fishing, poor fishing techniques and poor farming techniques are wrecking havoc on the ocean. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the type of fish you eat and its impact on the environment, check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium Pocket Guides. I use these every time I buy seafood thanks to my boyfriend's sister. She currently works at The Woods Hole Marine Bio Lab and gave us a much needed lesson on buying seafood responsibly. She rocks!

Now that you know all about responsible fish consumption, you can sit back and enjoy some delicious fish tacos and blackberry mojitos! Check these party decor ideas for Cinco de Mayo! I wish I had a big backyard so I could host a Cinco de Mayo party like this!

Martha Stweart
Hostess with the Mostess Blog
Home Seasons
Chic Coastal Living
I hope your weekend is filled with sunshine, delicious foods, refreshing drinks and plenty of gooooood times! And don't forget, drink responsibly!


                    No comments:

                    Post a Comment