Sunday, June 10, 2012

Summer is Here!

Summer is finally here! My favorite season of the year! This year I am really excited for this season because I have a sweet little balcony garden to take care of. The most exciting part about that is the fresh herbs and vegetables I can grow and consume throughout the season. Here is a picture of my garden when I first planted it this season. You will see some rosemary, basil, oregano, mint, lemon thyme and parsley.


My garden has been growing like crazy! And it has been hard to keep up with the trimmings, especially when I am a single gal and aren't feeding a family of 4... although my boyfriend sometimes eats like one. I haven't found a great way to preserve fresh cut herbs but the other day (while trying to figure out what to do with empty milk jugs) I came up with the idea of putting the fresh cut parsley and basil in the jugs filled with water. Voila!


They've been holding up for the past few days in this jug. I've been changing the water every other day so that it stays fresh. It's a neat idea for empty milk jugs. I usually return these to the store to be recycled, but now i may just keep one or 2 for this purpose =). It's a cute way to preserve your herbs plus it makes your whole kitchen smell great! Try it out and post a pic! 



No comments:

Post a Comment